Tuesday, October 13, 2009

I Want That

Grant always knows what he wants. I take that back--he thinks he knows what He wants. All nine months of his existence have been filled with trying to get what he thinks he wants. Sometimes it is my food, which I will gladly share with him unless it is unhealthy for him (like peanut butter) or if it is something I know he won't like and will spit back out (like bananas)--but he's always begging, even after he's spit it out. He always wants to hold the object that someone else is holding, even if the fancy noise-making, light-up toy he is holding is so much more interesting than the piece of paper I've got.

He used to be distracted easily, but lately he is determined that he will get what he wants. I've wondered, "Why don't you trust me? The things I give you are so much better than the ones you want!" Of course, he doesn't, and he probably won't trust me for twenty years.

I'm pretty bound and determined to get what I want in life, but what makes me think I know more than God? "Heavenly Father, trust me. I know myself, and I know what's good for me." That is pretty much leaning upon my own understanding in life (Prov. 3:5), and it always leads me to unhappiness. Or it leads to happiness that isn't as wonderful as it could have been. I've learned over and over that this quote is true:

"Men and women who turn their lives over to God will discover that He can make a lot more out of their lives than they can. He can deepen their joys, expand their vision, quicken their minds, strengthen their muscles, lift their spirits, multiply their blessings, increase their opportunities, comfort their souls, and pour out peace." (President Ezra Taft Benson, Teachings of..., Bookcraft, 1988, 361)

So I'm trying to trust Heavenly Father more, and to accept His opinions and answers to my prayers. Let's face it, He really does know more than I do.

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online